Sora to ito - MUCC Italian Forum

ROCK AND READ 35: Tatsuro, Aprile 2011

« Older   Newer »
DarkTrish
view post Posted on 2/10/2011, 15:13 by: DarkTrish

-----Quarta Parte----

If they’re facing us, then it’s fine. Since we’re facing everyone. “Karma” itself is an album like that.

–I see. So that history live is on the second day, and the first day is the summary of “Karma.” It is going to bring an end to all that has been done since last October at the Hibiya Yagai Ongakudo.
This will definitely be the “current MUCC.” Ya-on [=abbrev. of Hibiya Yagai Ongakudo] was a special live and there was a storm…… After that, we did a live house tour, and we kept getting new ideas about what we want to do about the performance and staging as we went to different places…… At the end of this flow of things, we wanted to show the complete version of “Karma.”

–From Ya-on to live houses. Then from a Europe tour to an Asia tour, and finally to the Budokan. I feel like part of the process has been skipped in between.
It might’ve been nice to have had a live at STUDIO COAST. This album was fitting for that place. But I think it’s nice to suddenly have a Budokan live. If we want to do a live at COAST, we can always do it. I thought it’d be interesting to slam a Budokan live into the mix. Also, we’re not just doing songs from “Karma” on the first day. We went into rehearsal one or two times, and we’ve been putting together the setlist for the second day, and there are songs that we want to do but can’t fit in. If we can’t fit them in for that day, then we can spill it onto the first day. We were slipping in some of our old songs in with our current ones during the “Karma” tour. Our leader suggested, “Let’s just do our old songs from that kind of nuance” (laughs).

–From his support-based intuition (laughs). And how did your straight intuition respond to that?
“Sounds good” (laughs). So, there might be some people who’ll say, “You didn’t say you were going to play songs like that!” among the people who are only going to the second day to hear our old songs. But actually, we’re beginning to disclose this information in interviews, so it’s not like a huge surprise and is like, “Isn’t it your fault for not reading our interviews?” (laughs). I like seeing people’s regretful expressions at times like that (laughs).

–Do you think, “In your face.”?
Yeah (laughs). I think, “Isn’t it your fault for not extending your antenna?”

–But I think it’s quite natural to think that the current and past are separated between the two days.
That’s true. But what you can’t forget is that no matter which day, it’s something the current MUCC is going to do with our current way of thinking. It just happens to be the standards for choosing songs is different. We’re the same people on both days so in that sense, it’s basically the same. Though, I’m not sure what kind of balance we’ll end up with yet.

–Is there a chance that songs from “Karma” will be performed on the second day?
I don’t know. But…… probably not. If we’re going to add songs from “Karma” on to the second day, then we shouldn’t be adding the songs [we couldn't fit into the second day] onto the first day. At least that’s what I think (laughs).

–That’s true. But if you put it in a different way, everything you have cultivated in “Karma” will be reflected on to the live even if the songs aren’t performed.
Yeah. At the same time, once we make the setlist, we might reach a point where we think, “Thinking about the quality of the live, I want a song from ‘Karma,’” so I can’t say that we absolutely won’t. A live’s quality is influenced heavily by the setlist, so I have to say that it’s set in stone.

–I think each audience member’s degree as [a "fan"] is different. But it’s not necessary to think that you can only enjoy one of the days or that you don’t have the right to enjoy one of the days.
Yeah. That’s not necessary at all. As long as you’re facing us, it’s fine. Because we’re facing everybody. “Karma” itself is an album like that.

–Yes. The fact that you were able to release “Karma” as your new piece during your 14th anniversary was partly why you were able to do such a thing, right? It might’ve been different with “Kyuutai.”
No, I don’t think it might’ve been that different with “Kyuutai.” “Kyuutai” and “Karma” are different musically, but in terms of lives, it too was an album where we were facing the audience and created a sense of unity. In the past, we had a lot of albums where we were like, “We’ll do our thing on our own, so you go and do yours,” but it’s not like that now. So, we thought it might be interesting to incorporate the atmosphere of unity we’ve acquired now into our old songs that we wrote with such a stance.

–In other words, you’re going to turn those inwardly facing songs and direct them outward?
Yeah. Well, but that depends on the song’s vector. I bet there are some songs from our past that we can perform like that.

–In that sense, “Karma” and “Kyuutai” may seem like complete opposites but are also like siblings.
Their -ism is similar. They are musically different, but how you enjoy it or the sense of “Let’s have fun!” is similar.

–Were you aware of that mutual point?
No. It’s not a matter of realizing or not; we didn’t even direct our attention to it. At the time of composing and production, we probably aren’t really thinking about that. I think we were like that in the past and we’ll continue being that way in the future. We’re more focused on creating what we want to create or putting things into shape. It’s a matter of how that sounds as a result. But with lives, we think, “let’s share this song together.” In that one place. The mutuality between us and the audience is the songs, and the place to share it and enjoy it is at a live. I think there are differences like that. Well, there are some songs where we compose thinking, “this song will lead to this kind of atmosphere,” but there are some songs we don’t know until we actually play it live.

–When you think of it like that, where do you think “Karma” fit in with MUCC’s history?
Hmmmm. As an…… accent.

–”Accent”?
It’s hard to say now, but I don’t think it’s something so big like a turning point. It’s not like we’re at a fork in the road and it’s not like we’re turning back around. Well, it’s just a passing point. When MUCC is finished, it’ll probably be an accent to everything we’ve done. I’m sure there will be stronger accents that’ll come along as we continue in the future, but thinking about where we are now and Karma’s degree of surprise, I’d say it’s quite an accent.

–I’m sure you guys have changed directions and you’ve also self-defining pieces. But in the end, once you go past it, they were all the same passing points. Is that how you feel?
Yeah. In the end, we did a lot of stuff along the way and that’s how we learned

Fonte: [Apr. 2011] ROCK AND READ 035: Tatsuro (MUCC) (4/6)

4 replies since 21/9/2011, 00:12   210 views